The Campaign for Home Energy Assistance this week released its 2017 LIHEAP White Paper — Investing in LIHEAP: Assessing the Impact of Economic Stressors on the Home Energy Crisis (PDF).
This year’s white paper is an update to the previous 2015 release and includes new data and insight from partners across the energy and research fields, including Pew Charitable Trusts and LIHEAP Directors across the nation.
Key points of the paper include:
- An overview of the number of Americans living in poverty
- The impact that an unexpected cost, such as a medical bill, has on most US households
- The inability of many families to recover from such unexpected costs
- The perpetuation of economic stressors in cyclical fashion
- Reliance of many working, poor families on LIHEAP for temporary assistance
- History of LIHEAP and national funding levels
In addition, the paper includes the Campaign for Home Energy Assistance’s policy recommendations.
Download the Campaign for Home Energy Assistance’s 2017 White Paper: Investing in LIHEAP: Assessing the Impact of Economic Stressors on the Home Energy Crisis (PDF).