Kansas Advocacy Center

LIHEAP: Fighting Poverty in Kansas

Click on the map below for county level funding and congressional districts

Kansas Utilities

Provides payments toward heating and air conditioning bills and can go toward electricity, natural gas, propane, fuel oil or wood bills throughout Kansas. Where sufficient funds are available, grants are available for emergency repairs to furnaces, air conditioners, hot water heaters and other energy related equipment. Assistance may also be available for repairs to broken windows and doors. The elderly and disabled are given priority where funds are limited. Call 1-800-336-4547 or visit www.angelfire.com/ks2/hshare/about.html for more information.

Atmos Energy – Sharing the Warmth
Customer donations combine with company donations to help people pay their gas bills. All donations go directly to local people in need that meet criteria established by each individual program’s guidelines. To contact the energy assistance agency in your area visit

Kansas City Power & Light – Dollar Aide
Customer donations help people in need pay their utility bills year-round, regardless of whether they use electricity, natural gas, propane or fuel oil. KCP&L matches $1 for every $5 contribution. For Mid American Assistance, call 816 561-3339 or for United Services, call 816 358-6868 or visit www.kcpl.com/residential/dolraide.html.

Kansas Gas Service
Share the Warmth: Customer contributions are distributed by the Salvation Army to qualifying families. Contact: 1-800-794-4780 or 575-8500 in Topeka or contact The Salvation Army at 1-877-566-2769, Ext. 402. or visit www.kansasgasservice.com/en/MyAccount/BillingAndAccountOptions/SharetheWarmth.aspx.

Pioneer Electric Cooperative, Inc. – We Care
Employees and Trustees participating in the program make a donation from each paycheck to the fund. The money is then distributed to Pioneer Electric members who are in need as a result of illness, accident or other unforeseen event or difficult circumstance. These funds may be used at the family’s discretion. Call 620-356-1211 or 1-800-794-9302 or visit
www.pioneerelectric.coop/wecare.aspx for more information.

Westar Energy – Project Deserve
Offers bill payment assistance of up to $200 once a year. Applications can be picked up at the local Red Cross office in Reno county and must be received at the Wichita Red Cross office postmarked between the 1st and 7th day of the month. An application form can be downloaded from the website. Administered by the Red Cross. Contact the American Red Cross at 316-219-4000 or
Westar Energy at 800-383-1183. Call Wichita at 316-383-8600 or visit the following websites for more information: www.westarenergy.com/ and www.midamericanenergy.com/html/energy3g.asp.