North Carolina Advocacy Center

LIHEAP: Fighting Poverty in North Carolina

Click on the map below for county level funding and congressional districts

LIHEAP Contact
Public Inquiries:1-800-662-7030 (Care Line)
Web Site:

Administering Agency Contacts

Weatherization Assistance Program
Local Administering Agency Contacts

North Carolina Utilities

Typical services for eligible customers include: sealing air leaks, installing insulation, replacing existing lighting with energy efficient bulbs and performing tune-ups and repairs to heating and cooling systems. For more information, to check if you are eligible to receive services, or to find the nearest service provider, call the N.C. Office of Economic Opportunity at (919) 715-5850 or visit:

Albemarle Electric Membership Corporation
Operation RoundUp: Customer donations provide funds for individuals and organizations. Examples of individual requests may include emergency medical care, heating system repair, or wheelchair purchase. Call 252-426-5735 or 1-800-215-9915 or visit:

Blueridge Electric Membership Corporation
Operation Round Up: Member contributions help provide food, clothing, shelter, health care and other vital community services that will benefit people in need. Contributions also help pay electric bills. Call 828-758-2383 or visit .

Cape Hatteras Electric
Cape Hatteras Electric Foundation : Customer donations assist individuals and families who are suffering unusual or unexpected problems and are in grave need of assistance. Grants may be used to pay for shelter, clothing, food, health care, emergencies, and other humane needs. Grant limits are $1,000 per individual or $2,500 per family or non-profit organization per year. Call 252-995-5616 or 1-800-454-5616 or visit

Carteret-Craven Electric Cooperative
Operation Roundup: Customer donations are placed in the Carteret-Craven Electric Foundation. The Foundation, governed by a volunteer Board of Directors reviews applications from groups requesting the funds. Individuals needing assistance apply through their local county Social Services Department who then screen the applications for Carteret-Craven. Call 252-727-2226 or visit:

Central Electric Membership Corporation
Member Cares: Member donations are used to help less fortunate members with their heating bills – regardless of the type of fuel they use. Money will be distributed by the Department of Social Services in the respective counties served by Central Electric. Call
Department of Social Services at 919-774-4900 or 1-800-446-7752 for more information.

Dominion North Carolina Power
EnergyShare: A fuel assistance program that helps pay home heating bills for those in need living within the company’s service area. It pays for any heating source: oil, gas, kerosene, wood, and electricity. It is a program of last resort for the elderly, the ill… for all who face financial hardships from unemployment or family crisis. Payments go directly to energy vendors on behalf of those helped. For more information and to apply, contact your local community action agency or visit

Duke Energy
Share the Warmth: A heating bill assistance program funded by Duke Energy. The Duke Energy Foundation matches individual contributions, dollar-for-dollar for a maximum corporate contribution of $500,000 annually. The funds may be used for the payment of heating costs, regardless of energy source. For a list of  partner agencies, call 1-800-777-9898, or visit: .

Cooling Assistance Program: The Duke Energy Foundation funds the Cooling Assistance Program. No funds or contributions are collected from employees or customers. An annual corporate contribution of $250,000 is spread among the counties within our service area in the Carolinas. The same agencies that assist with Share the Warmth also help distribute the funds and determine the eligibility criteria for the Cooling Assistance Program..
For a list of partner agencies, call 1-800-777-9898, or visit: .

Fan-Heat Relief Program: The Duke Energy Foundation contributes $40,000 annually for the purchase of fans for senior citizens. Administered by the N.C. Department of Human Resources/Division of Aging. For a list of partner agencies, call 1-800-777-9898, or visit: .

Fayetteville Public Works Commission
People Who Care: PWC customers provide donations that will be used to assist area residents in need with the payment of their electricity bills throughout the entire year. Funds are administered by the Cumberland County Salvation Army. Call 910-483-8119 or visit for more information.

Four County Electric Membership Corporation
Operation Round Up: Customer donations provide funds for necessities such as groceries, clothing, shelter, prescription drugs and medical care. Up to $2,000 can be awarded to individuals in crisis situations. Call Burgaw 910-259-2361 or 1-888-368-7289; Elizabethtown 910-862-3551 or 1-888-368-7289; Rose Hill 910-289-4534 or 1-888-368-7289; or visit for more information.

Haywood Electric Membership Corporation
Helping Each Member Cope: This program is designed to assist families or individuals experiencing hardships paying energy costs brought about by extreme weather conditions, decrease in household income, or who are experiencing unusual and/or unexpected crises beyond their control. Customer contributions are administered by the Department of Social Services.
Call 828-452-6620 or 828-452-6686 for more information.

Lumbee River Electric Membership Corporation
LREMC Cares: Member contributions are distributed to families who are experiencing a crisis with their electric bill as determined by local community service agencies. Community service agencies administer funds on a year-round basis (depending on fund availability). Recipients may receive up to $150 in assistance one time a year. Call Cumberland: Fayetteville Urban Ministry at 910-483-5944; Hoke: Dept. of Social Services at 910-875-8725; Robeson: Robeson County Church & Community Services at 910-738-5204; Scotland: Scotland County Church & Community Services at 910-276-8330; or

Mecklenburg County Crisis Assistance Ministry
A partnership of the religious community, a gas and an electric utility, United Way and Mecklenburg County that addresses utility, food, and basic needs. Through a public-private partnership, Mecklenburg County and United Way provide most of the Ministry’s operating funds. Contributions are received from area congregations, the City of Charlotte, utilities, individuals, foundations, businesses and community organizations. Call 704-371-3000 or visit for more information.

Nashville Electric Service
Project Help: Provides emergency energy assistance to those who need it most. Project Help is administered by Big Brothers of Nashville, Inc. To find out if you qualify for energy assistance, call Customer Service at 615-736-6900 or visit

Piedmont Electric Membership Corporation
Project Helping Hand: Customer donations assist less fortunate customers during crisis situation. Call Hillsborough Office, 919-732-2123; Roxboro Office, 336-599-0151; or Caswell County, 336-421-6265 for more information.

Piedmont Natural Gas
Share the Warmth: Partner agencies use customer donations to provide direct financial assistance to low-income families and individuals using all forms of energy including natural gas, propane, oil, electricity, coal, kerosene and wood. For assistance contact Crisis Assistance Ministry (Mecklenburg County) 704-371-3001, or your local social services agency. Call 1-800-752-7504 or visit for additional program information.

Progress Energy Carolinas
Energy Neighbor Fund : Receives support from employees, customers, churches and civic organizations for heating assistance. Employee and customer campaigns help raise funds for Project Share each fall, and the Progress Energy Foundation provides $250,000 in matching funds. Call 919-508-5400 (Raleigh area) or 1-800-452-2777 (outside Raleigh area) for information.

PSNC Energy
Heat Care Fund: Customer donations provide direct assistance to those struggling to pay their heating bill — regardless of the type of fuel they use. All the money contributed to the Heat Care Fund is administered solely by The Salvation Army. Funds are distributed by local Salvation Army agencies to needy residents living in PSNC Energy’s service territory. Visit for more information.

Randolph Electric Membership Corporation
People Helping People: Member donations are given to REMC families and individuals that are in need of assistance. Call 1-800-672-8212 or visist for more information.

Surry-Yadkin Electric Membership Corporation
Round Up Program: Customer donations help individuals and families who may be facing a crisis situation. Losing a home to a fire, loss of a job, and medical and humane necessities are examples of crisis situations. Applications are available at the Surry-Yadkin EMC office in Dobson. For more information, Call 800-682-5903 or 336-386-8241 or visit:

Wake County
Warmth for Wake: Provides economic support to needy families and individuals to help them pay heating costs during the winter months. Funded entirely by contributions from private citizens, churches and other civic organizations. Call 919-212-7083 (Wake County Human Services), 919-781-7979 (North Carolina Bankers Association), 1- 800-662-7044, or visit for more information.

Operation Round-Up®: Households at 150 percent or less of poverty may be eligible for assistance with utility deposits and electric bills. Apply at local county department of social services.