Find Help

If you need help finding local energy assistance resources, call the National Energy Assistance Referral hotline toll-free at 1-866-674-6327 or email (TTY 1-866-367-6228)

The NEAR hotline is maintained by the LIHEAP Clearinghouse, a program of the US Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families. It is not affiliated with the Campaign for Home Energy Assistance.


North Carolina

LIHEAP: Fighting Poverty in North Carolina

LIHEAP FY 2014 Funding
(includes tribal awards)

LIHEAP Income Eligibility Level
Heating and Cooling: 130% Federal Poverty Level
Crisis: 150% Federal Poverty Level


LIHEAP FY 2013 Benefit
Heating: $200 minimum, $400 maximum
Crisis: $600 maximum

LIHEAP Households Served
(Estimate for FY 2013 Heating)


LIHEAP Program Dates
Heating: December 2 – January 31
(Priority for households with all members 60 years and over or disabled)
February 3 – March 31
(All other households if funds remain)
Crisis: Year-round (Cooling is part of crisis)


Emergency Charitable Assistance

Albemarle Electric Membership Corporation
Operation RoundUp: Customer donations provide funds for individuals and organizations. Examples of individual requests may include emergency medical care, heating system repair, or wheelchair purchase. Call 252-426-5735 or 1-800-215-9915.


Blueridge Electric Membership Corporation
Operation RoundUp: Member contributions help provide food, clothing, shelter, health care and other vital community services that will benefit people in need. Contributions also help pay electric bills. Call 828-758-2383.


Cape Hatteras Electric
Cape Hatteras Electric Foundation: Customer donations assist individuals and families who are suffering unusual or unexpected problems and are in grave need of assistance. Grants may be used to pay for shelter, clothing, food, health care, emergencies, and other humane needs. Grant limits are $1,000 per individual or $2,500 per family or non-profit organization per year. Call 252-995-5616 or 1-800-454-5616.


Carteret-Craven Electric Cooperative
Operation Roundup: Customer donations help address unmet needs of individuals and organizations in the community. For grant application contact Sarah Grider: 252.247.3107 or 1.800.682.2217.


Central Electric Membership Corporation
Member Cares: Member donations are used to help less fortunate members with their heating bills – regardless of the type of fuel they use. Money will be distributed by the Department of Social Services in the respective counties served by Central Electric. Call Department of Social Services at 919-774-4900 or 1-800-446-7752 for more information.


City of Rocky Mount
Winter Assistance for Rocky Mount (W.A.R.M.): Supported solely on donations from the community and various sponsors, this program assists low-income elderly, disabled or recently laid off customers to pay past due heating expenses. Payments are made directly to the fuel source provider. The program is administered by the Salvation Army from January – May. For assistance, contact the Salvation Army of Rocky Mount at 252-446-4496.


Dominion North Carolina Power
Share the Warmth: A heating bill assistance program funded by Duke Power customers and Duke Energy shareholders. The Duke Energy Foundation matches individual contributions, dollar-for-dollar up to $50, for a maximum corporate contribution of $500,000 annually. The funds may be used for the payment of heating costs, regardless of energy source. Contact partner agencies.
Cooling Assistance ProgramFunded by Duke Power and the Duke Energy Foundation, an annual contribution of $250,000 is spread among the counties within their service area. A specific agency (or agencies) is selected in each county to distribute the funds and to determine the criteria for family eligibility. Contact partner agencies.
Fan-Heat Relief ProgramThe Duke Energy Foundation contributes $40,000 annually for the purchase of fans for senior citizens. Administered by the N.C. Department of Human Resources/Division of Aging.
Contact partner agencies.


Duke Energy Progress
Energy Neighbor Fund: Receives support from employees, customers, churches and civic organizations for heating assistance. Employee and customer campaigns help raise funds for Project Share each fall, and the Progress Energy Foundation provides $250,000 in matching funds. Call 919-508-5400 (Raleigh area) or 1-800-452-2777 (outside Raleigh area).


Fayetteville Public Works Commission
People Who Care: PWC customers provide donations that will be used to assist area residents in need with the payment of their electricity bills throughout the entire year. Funds are administered by the Cumberland County Salvation Army. Call 910-483-8119.


Four County Electric Membership Corporation
Operation RoundUp: Customer donations provide funds for necessities such as groceries, clothing, shelter, prescription drugs and medical care. Up to $2,000 can be awarded to individuals in crisis situations.

Burgaw 910-259-2361 or 1-888-368-7289
Elizabethtown 910-862-3551 or 1-888-368-7289
Rose Hill 910-289-4534 or 1-888-368-7289


Haywood Electric Membership Corporation
Helping Each Member Cope: This program is designed to assist families or individuals experiencing hardships paying energy costs brought about by extreme weather conditions, decrease in household income, or who are experiencing unusual and/or unexpected crises beyond their control. Customer contributions are administered by the Department of Social Services. Call 828-452-6620 or 828-452-6686.


Lumbee River Electric Membership Corporation
LREMC CaresMember contributions are distributed to families who are experiencing a crisis with their electric bill as determined by local community service agencies. Community service agencies administer funds on a year-round basis (depending on fund availability). Recipients may receive up to $150 in assistance one time a year.

Cumberland: Fayetteville Urban Ministry 910-483-5944
Hoke: Dept. of Social Services 910-875-8725
Robeson: Robeson County Church & Community Services 910-738-5204
Scotland: Scotland County Church & Community Services 910-276-8330


Mecklenburg County Crisis Assistance Ministry
A partnership of the religious community, a gas and an electric utility, United Way and Mecklenburg County that addresses utility, food, and basic needs. Through a public-private partnership, Mecklenburg County and United Way provide most of the Ministry’s operating funds. Contributions are received from area congregations, the City of Charlotte, utilities, individuals, foundations, businesses and community organizations. Call 704-371-3000.


Nashville Electric Service
Project Help: Provides emergency energy assistance to those who need it most. Project Help is administered by Big Brothers of Nashville, Inc. To find out if you qualify for energy assistance, call Customer Service at 615-736-6900.


Piedmont Electric Membership Corporation
Project Helping Hand: Customer donations assist less fortunate customers during crisis situation. Call Hillsborough Office, 919-732-2123; Roxboro Office, 336-599-0151; or Caswell County, 336-421-6265 for more information.


Piedmont Natural Gas
Share the WarmthPartner agencies use customer donations to provide direct financial assistance to low-income families and individuals using all forms of energy including natural gas, propane, oil, electricity, coal, kerosene and wood. For assistance contact Crisis Assistance Ministry (Mecklenburg County) 704-371-3001, or your local social services agency. Call 1-800-752-7504.


PSNC Energy
Heat Care Fund: Customer donations provide direct assistance to those struggling to pay their heating bill — regardless of the type of fuel they use. All the money contributed to the Heat Care Fund is administered solely by The Salvation Army. Funds are distributed by local Salvation Army agencies to needy residents living in PSNC Energy’s service territory.


Randolph Electric Membership Corporation
People Helping People: Member donations are given to REMC families and individuals that are in need of assistance. Call 1-800-672-8212.


Surry-Yadkin Electric Membership Corporation
Round Up Program: Customer donations help individuals and families who may be facing a crisis situation. Losing a home to a fire, loss of a job, and medical and humane necessities are examples of crisis situations. Applications are available at the Surry-Yadkin EMC office in Dobson. Call 800-682-5903 or 336-386-8241.


Wake County
Warmth for Wake: Provides economic support to needy families and individuals to help them pay heating costs during the winter months. Funded entirely by contributions from private citizens, churches and other civic organizations. Call 919-212-7083 (Wake County Human Services), 919-781-7979 (North Carolina Bankers Association), or 1-800-662-7044.


Wake Electric
Operation RoundUp: Households at 150 percent or less of poverty may be eligible for assistance with utility deposits and electric bills. Apply at local county department of social services.


State utility resource information provided by the LIHEAP Clearinghouse, a service of the U.S. Department of Heath and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families.


State LIHEAP Contacts

Public Inquiries: 1-800-662-7030 (Care Line)

LIHEAP Administering Agency Contacts
List of Contacts

Weatherization Assistance Program
Local Administering Agency Contacts

North Carolina Delegation

District 1 – G.K. Butterfield (D)
District 2 – Renee Ellmers (R)
District 3 – Walter B. Jones (R)
District 4 – David Price (D)
District 5 – Virginia Foxx (R)
District 6 – Howard Coble (R)
District 7 – Mike McIntyre (D)
District 8 – Richard Hudson (R)
District 9 – Robert Pittenger (R)
District 10 – Patrick T. McHenry (R)
District 11 – Mark Meadows (R)
District 12 – Vacant
District 13 – George Holding (R)
Richard Burr (R)
Kay R. Hagan (D)

North Carolina State Plan

2014 abbreviated State Plan


delay sprey viga sprey