Find Help

If you need help finding local energy assistance resources, call the National Energy Assistance Referral hotline toll-free at 1-866-674-6327 or email (TTY 1-866-367-6228)

The NEAR hotline is maintained by the LIHEAP Clearinghouse, a program of the US Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families. It is not affiliated with the Campaign for Home Energy Assistance.



LIHEAP: Fighting Poverty in Washington

LIHEAP FY 2014 Funding
$59,124,210 (includes tribal awards)

LIHEAP Income Eligibility Level
125% Federal Poverty Level


LIHEAP FY 2013 Benefit
Heating: $25 minimum, $450 average, $1,000 maximum

LIHEAP Households Served
(Estimate for FY 2013 Heating)



LIHEAP Program Dates
Heating: October 1 – June 30
Crisis: Year-round



State LIHEAP Resources

Energy Matchmaker
State general funds go to “Energy Matchmaker” program and are matched by local, utility and other funds. Measures included attic, wall and floor insulation, weatherstripping and furnace modifications. For more information contact your local community action agency.


Washington Utilities with Low-Income Rate Assistance

All of the utilities and Public Utility Districts listed below provide rate discounts for low-income, seniors or disabled customers. Discounts range from 5% to 40% of a customer’s utility bill.


Tacoma Public Utilities
Discount Rate: A special discount rate of 30 percent is available to qualified, low-income customers who are, 62 years or older or disabled for all City of Tacoma utilities. For more information on how to apply, call the Tacoma Public Utilities Customer Solutions Office at 253-502-8369.
Payment Assistance for Heating Bills: Assistance may be available if you need help paying your winter electric bills. Funds get distributed annually, starting in the Fall. Once funding is depleted, the program is closed. This program is currently closed as all funding has been distributed. Funding may be restored and the program reopened in January, 2013. To apply, call the agency that serves your area:

  • If you live in the City of Tacoma: Metropolitan Development Council, 253-572-5557
  • If you live in University Place, Fircrest, Lakewood or other areas within Pierce County: Pierce County Community Services, 855-798-4328.


Seattle City Light
Discounted Rates for Low-Income, Seniors and Disabled: Qualifying customers can save 50% on electric, water, sewer and garbage bills. Senior citizens or a persons with disabilities with income at or below 70% of the state median level, call the Mayor’s Office for Senior Citizens at 206-684-0268. Customers with household income at or below 70% of state’s median income may call the Seattle Human Services Department at (206) 684-0268 to qualify and enroll. Customers living in federally-funded public housing and Section 8 housing are not eligible.
Emergency Low Income Assistance: Seattle City Light customers may receive assistance of up to 50% or $200 of their electric bill if they have received a final notice. Household income must be at or below 125% of federal poverty, and customers must have already received help from the Energy Assistance Program. Payment arrangements to cover any balance are required. This assistance is limited to once a year. Call 206-684-3000.


AVISTA Utilities
Low Income Rate Assistance Program: The Low Income Rate Assistance Program is for Avista customers to ease the energy burden on limited income customers due to the impact of rising energy prices and the gaps in available funding sources compared to need. Services available to Avista customers are: Benefits for limited income households are based on eligibility and a percentage of the customers heat bill. Contact your local community action agency.
Senior Energy Outreach: Senior Energy Grants are available for Washington customers age 60 or older, and who are not typically eligible for Energy Assistance for limited-income customers. Eligible Washington Avista customers may qualify for a $300 Senior Energy Grant and eligible Avista non-heating customers can get a $100 grant. To find out if you qualify, please call CARES at 888-700-2757 or your local community action agency.


Benton Co. PUD
Low-Income Senior and Disabled Discount: A 15 percent discount is available to qualified customers with an annual household income that is 100 percent to 175 percent of the federal poverty level. A 20 percent discount is available for customers with an income that is less than 100 percent of the federal poverty level. Customers must be 62 years of age for the Senior Low Income discount. The Disabled Low Income discount is available to customers that have a member in the household who is disabled. To apply, call the Benton Franklin Community Action Committee at 509-545-4065. Applications are also available on the PUD’s website.


Chelan County PUD
Rate Discount: Low-income senior citizens and disabled customers may be eligible for a discount on their electric bills.

  • Wenatchee (PUD Headquarters) 509-663-8121
  • Chelan 509-682-2581
  • Leavenworth 509-548 -7761


City of Port Angeles
Senior Energy Credit Program: Seniors 62 years of age or older may qualify for a 5-30% discount on their utility bill. Eligibility: income $21,000 or less; must apply for all available State and/or Federal energy related programs; must not live in subsidized housing and; must participate in available conservation programs.
Low-Income Disabled Citizen Discount: Individually determined percentage of utility bill, based on income and number in household, is discounted. Eligibility: income at or below 125% of established poverty level; verification of disability and income; must apply for all available State and/or Federal energy related programs; must not live in subsidized housing and; must agree to renew application yearly. Call 360-457-0411 or e-mail


City of Richland
Low-Income Rate Discounts: Low-income seniors (age 62) and low-income disabled customers receive a variety of utility services at discounted rates. Eligibility: household income is less than 125% of the poverty level. More information and application form is available on the website. Call 509-942-7390.


Clallam County PUD
Contact any PUD office for an application or call 1-800-542-7859.
Senior Citizen Discount: The PUD offers a discount on electric and water bills to customers who are 62 years or older and have a total household income less than $18,000.
Disabled Discount: The PUD offers a discount on electric and water bills to disabled customers whose total combined household income is at or below 125 percent of the federally established poverty level.


Clark Co. PUD
360-992-3000 or e-mail us at
Guarantee of Service Plan: Customers pay a maximum monthly amount based on income rather than electricity use. Security deposits and late charges are waived.
Rate Credits: A senior 62 years or older who has an annual income less than $24,000 qualifies for a 50% credit on their bills Jan – April. The credit is based on the customer’s highest four winter month bills.


Columbia Rural Electric Association
Senior Citizen Discount: Seniors 65 or older with income less than or equal to 150% of federal poverty guidelines may be eligible for a rate discount. Call 509-382-2578 Dayton or 1-800-642-1231.


Cowlitz County PUD
Low-income Senior Discount Rate: A reduced electric rate for qualified seniors aged 65 or older, with a gross annual household income under $18,000. Application for 2007 starts September 1, 2006.
Low-income Disabled Discount Rate: A discount is available for customers who qualify for special parking privileges, blind, disabled, and handicapped or an incapacitated person as defined under the Revised Code of the State of Washington (RCW) and receive a disability income, and meet all eligibility guidelines.
To apply for either discount, contact Columbia Community Action Council at 360-425-3430 and request an appointment.


Ferry County PUD
Low-Income Senior Discount: To qualify for a discount on your electric utility bill for your primary residence, you must be 62 years or older and meet income level requirements. For additional information contact Joyce Dunn at or call 509-775-3325.


Franklin PUD
Senior Discounts: Seniors 62 years of age or older may receive a 15% or 30% discount depending on annual income. An application is available on the website or call 1-800-638-7701 or 509-547-5591.
Disabled Discounts: A 30% discount is available for those customers that qualify for special parking privileges, blind, disabled, or handicapped with an annual income at or below the 125% federal poverty level. An application is available on the website or call 1-800-638-7701 or 509-547-5591.


Grays Harbor PUD
Senior Discount Program: Seniors 62 years or older with an annual income of $29,538 or less may be eligible for a discount. A completed application, identification, proof of age, social security card, and one of your P.U.D. electric bills will be required. An application is available on the website. If you are homebound, please call 1-800-562-7726.
Disabled Discount Program: You may be eligible for a discount on your electric bill if you have a disability covered by Washington State Laws and have an annual income of $29,538 or less. A completed application, including a health professionals statement and one P.U.D. electric bill will be required upon application. An application is available on the website. If you are homebound, please call 1-800-562-7726.


Klickitat PUD
Low Income Winter Discount: The PUD provides 10 percent winter discounts to low income customers, as long as they are current on their PUD bills. To qualify for the discount, a household’s income must be below 125 percent of the federal poverty level. Households must be certified by Klickitat Skamania Development Council. Contact Loretta Lindsey at KSDC, 493-2662 or 1- 800-755-1192.
Low Income Elderly Discount: The PUD offers 10 to 40 percent discounts to low income seniors from December through April. To qualify for the senior discount, customers must be at least 62 years old and have annual household incomes below $15,000. Contact the county Senior Services office, 773-3757, or 1-800-447-7858 for application. For more information, contact the PUD Customer Services Department at 773-5891 or 800-548-8357.


Mason County PUD
Low-income discount for senior citizens
, age 62 and over who are permanent, year-round customers of PUD 3, whose annual disposable income is $35,000 or less and who do not live in federally subsidized housing. The discount amounts to approximately $15.00 a month. A senior citizen discount application form is available online or contact your local PUD offices.
Discount for low-income disabled persons, approximately $15.00 a month. To qualify, the PUD account must be in the name of the disabled person. The customer cannot live in federally subsidized housing and must be a permanent, year-round customer of Mason County PUD 3. Call the Community Action Council at 426-9726 or toll free at 1-800-952-6992 to schedule a qualification appointment.


Pacific Co. PUD
Low Income Senior and Disabled Discount: Seniors (62 and over) and disabled customers who fall within the federal poverty guidelines may qualify for a discount of up to 40% of the electric bill. Applications must be renewed annually and are available at P.U.D. offices.

  • Long Beach office 360-642-3191
  • Raymond office 360-942-2411
  • Naselle 360-484-7454


Pacific Power
Low-Income Bill Assistance: A three-tiered bill discount based on income is available during the heating months of November through April. Monthly billings include a discount on each kWh of usage over 600 kWh. Contact your local community action agency:

Columbia, Garfield, Walla Walla
Blue Mountain Action Council
Yakima County – South of Union Gap
Northwest Community Action Center
Yakima County – North of Union Gap
Yakima Valley OIC


Peninsula Light Company
Senior and Disabled Discount: Discounts of 25% are available to income eligible seniors, 62 or older, and disabled customers. Applications are on the website. Call 253-857-5950 or 1-888-809-8021.


Puget Sound
HELP: Provides additional bill-payment assistance (beyond the federal LIHEAP program) to qualified PSE customers. Eligible customers can receive credits to lower their electricity or natural-gas bills. Depending on the county in which you live, the maximum household income for eligibility ranges between 125 percent and 150 percent of the federal poverty guidelines. Contact a local agency for assistance or call 1-888-225-5773 ; TTY 1-800-962-9498.


Snohomish Co. PUD
Senior and Low-Income Discounts: Year-round discounts of 20 percent, 40 percent, or 60 percent off electric bills, depending on income level. Low-income customers at or below 125% federal poverty level and seniors, 62 or older, with income less than $27,381. Applications are available online or at any PUD office, most senior citizen centers, or by calling the utility’s customer service department at 425-783-1000 or 1-877-783-1000.

Washington Utilities with Low-Income Energy Efficiency Resources

Pacific Power
Works with local agencies to provide free weatherization services to income-qualifying homeowners and renters living in single-family homes, mobile home or apartments. Based on the home’s needs, a variety of measures can be installed, including insulation, energy-efficiency showerheads, compact fluorescent light bulbs and more. Please call the community agency in your area to learn more and to apply:

Columbia, Garfield, Walla Walla
Blue Mountain Action Council
(509) 529-4980
Yakima County – South of Union Gap
Northwest Community Action Center
(509) 865-7630
Yakima County – North of Union Gap
Opportunities Industrialization Center of Washington
(509) 452-2555


Seattle Office of Housing
HomeWise Weatherization: Weatherization grants can insulate single family homes with low-income households as well as apartment buildings that qualify. After an energy analysis of your home is performed, an energy conservation package, which includes insulation, venting, weatherstripping, and more, will be installed. Call 206-684-0244 for more information or application.


Chelan County PUD
Through a combination of state and District funds, the Chelan-Douglas Community Action Council weatherizes low-income homes. Call 509-662-6156 or

Wenatchee (PUD Headquarters) 509-663-8121
Chelan 509-682-2581
Leavenworth 509-548 -7761


Cowlitz County Public Utility District
Residential Weatherization Conservation: Cowlitz PUD’s residential energy conservation program is being revised and will be available again to qualified customers later this summer. Once the program is up-and-running, the website will be updated with the pertinent information. If you have any specific questions, please contact our Energy Conservation Department at (360) 577-7514 or (800) 631-1131.


Douglas PUD
Douglas PUD has participated in the Washington State Department of Community Development’s Energy Matchmaker Low Income Weatherization Program through the Chelan-Douglas Community Action Council since 1988. The program utilizes matching funds to weatherize houses for low-income residents of Douglas County. Call 509-884-7191 or 1-800-503-7990.


Puget Sound Energy
Services may include installing insulation, draft sealing, repairs, heating and water heating equipment repairs. Local low-income agencies can provide information on the free services available and qualification requirements for participants. Contact local low-income agencies or call 1-888-225-5773; TTY 1-800-962-9498 .


State utility resource information provided by the LIHEAP Clearinghouse, a service of the U.S. Department of Heath and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families.



State LIHEAP Contacts


Local LIHEAP Administering Agency Contacts
List of Contacts

Weatherization Assistance Program
Local Administering Agency Contacts

Washington Delegation

District 1 – Suzan DelBene (D)
District 2 – Rick Larsen (D)
District 3 – Jaime Herrera Beutler (R)
District 4 – Doc Hastings (R)
District 5 – Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R)
District 6 – Derek Kilmer (D)
District 7 – Jim McDermott (D)
District 8 – David G. Reichert (R)
District 9 – Adam Smith (D)
District 10 – Denny Heck (D)
Patty Murray (D)
Maria Cantwell (D)

Washington State Plan

2014 abbreviated State Plan

delay sprey viga sprey